The Queensman Lodge
Formally The Justinian Lodge
RULES APPERTAINING TO THE TRAVELLING GAVEL
OF THE QUEENSMAN LOLDGE No 2694
1. The intention of the Travelling Gavel is to encourage visits between Lodges who have a like minded feeling of brotherhood.
2. The Travelling Gavel will be presented upon demand, provided attendance of the visiting Lodge is of four or more in number.
3. If two or more sister Lodges visit with the intention of rescuing the Travelling Gavel, and demand its surrender, the Master must comply, but will surrender it to the visiting Lodge that has travelled the greater distance to be at the holding Lodge.
4. Notwithstanding the above, visiting Lodges who are eligible through numbers to rescue the Gavel, but have rescued the Gavel in the previous 12 consecutive months from the same Lodge, will forfeit the right of rescue for that visit, providing another Lodge or Lodges are in attendance and in sufficient numbers, and demand its surrender. If two or more eligible Lodges (ie.They have sufficient numbers and have not previously rescued the Gavel from the same Lodge in the previous 12 months) and demand its surrender. Rule 3 will apply.
5. Rescuing Lodges must inform the Secretary of the Lodge to be visited of their intention to rescue the Travelling Gavel in order to avoid any unforeseen events that may disturb the Lodge.
6. In order for potential Lodges to discover the present whereabouts of the Travelling Gavel, the rescuing Lodge must inform the Secretary of The Queensman Lodge as soon as possible to enable the location and Lodge Name of the Travelling Gavel to be published on the Queensman website at http:/queensmanlodge.co.uk. The rescuing Lodge must also enter their Lodge Name and Number, date and location from which the Travelling Gavel was rescued in the Travelling Gavel Passport so that a permanent record is maintained.
7. Any Lodge that takes the Gavel “Home” is requested to make a donation £10 to the funds of The London Fire Brigade Appeal.
8. The Travelling Gavel remains the property of The Queensman Lodge, and may be recalled at any time. This recall will not be done unreasonably, but if recalled, the current holders must ensure its safe return.
9. Intending rescuing Lodges must agree to the Rules applicable to the Travelling Gavel and it is assumed that those Lodges rescuing the Travelling Gavel have undertaken to comply with the Rules in full.
10. The Lodge in possession of the Gavel is requested to display it at all regular meetings.